Mental Health Association of Northwestern PA
Links to organizations providing useful information
We list here links to organizations and individuals whose affiliation we value. We consider the information available on these web sites
reliable and useful.
- 101 best Bipolar and Depression resources on the web
- An informative list for anyone involved or has a loved one who suffers from depression or bipolar illness.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) provides research information which helps people make more informed decisions and improves the quality of health care services.
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- The ADA website provides a plethora of information ranging from ADA design standards to an information line to new or proposed regulations.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of the Constitution's protections and guarantees.
- American Association of Suicidology
We are dedicated to the understanding and prevention of suicide. Are you or someone you love at risk of suicide? Get the facts and take appropriate action. Be aware of the warning signs.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Among the many programs it offers is a listing of local support groups for survivors.
- Best Practice Guidelines for Consumer-Delivered Services
- Mark Salzer and Mental Health Association of Southeastern PA Best Practices Team Wrote These Guidelines
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- The mission of the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law is to protect and advance the rights of adults and children who have mental disabilities. The Center envisions an America where people who have mental illnesses or developmental disabilities exercise their own life choices and have access to the resources that enable them to participate fully in their communities.
- Brain Injury Support Groups
- Erie-Brain Injury Education and Support Group
HealthSouth Erie Rehabilitation Hospital
3rd Wednesday 3:30 - 4:00PM
Call Jennifer Abbott at 814-878-1358.
- Erie-Brain ISG of Erie
Glenwood United Methodist Church
3rd Tuesday 5:15 - 6:30PM
Call Nanette Crawford at 814-452-5519.
- Bring Change 2 Mind
- This organization was formed to provide quick and easy access to accurate information about mental illness for people who have misconceptions about mental illness.
- Calm Clinic
- Help for Panic and Anxiety Sufferers
- Care for Your Mind
- The Care for Your Mind community was developed by the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) and Families for Depression Awareness (FFDA) to engage our constituencies in the critical discussions and decisions about mental health care. Care for Your Mind allows FFDA and DBSA to initiate and facilitate active dialogue about emerging policies and regulations that will determine the availability and quality of mental health care services to people with mood disorders and their families.
- Center for Change
- Center for Change is a leading residential treatment center for eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia and binge eating.
- Cerebral Palsy Guide
- This organization shares educational materials to families and individuals affected by cerebral palsy, including information about different therapies, treatment options, and financial resources.
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- CHADD improves the lives of people affected by AD/HD.
- Childrens News
- This children's news site is a product of the Mental Health Association in Pennsylvania (MHAPA) and its partners across the state. Our goal is to provide information on children's mental health issues in Pennsylvania - advocacy efforts, events, policy, etc.
- Choose Work
- Choose Work through the Ticket to Work program, offering people with disabilities a shot at achieving financial independence by enabling more choice in employment-related support services, and access to meaningful work.
- COMPASS, the fast and easy way to apply for benefits - anytime
- COMPASS is an online application for Pennsylvanians to apply for many health and human service programs.
- Compassionate Actions Project
- Compassionate Actions Project® (CAP) is a non-profit 501c3 organization offering eligible people in Erie County Pennsylvania free whole foods and personal care items. Currently open to MHA members only.
- Consumer Driven Services Directory
- The CMHS-supported National Mental Health Consumer Self-Help Clearinghouse has
developed a directory of consumer-driven services.
- Council of State Governments
- Council of State Governments Mental Health Tool Kit - Fostering Recovery through State Action
- The mission of DearShrink is to provide you with easily accessible, authoritative information and assistance from an award-winning psychiatrist and writer.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- DBSA is the leading patient-directed national organization focusing on the most prevalent mental illnesses. DBSA supports research to promote more timely diagnosis, develop more effective and tolerable treatments and discover a cure. The organization works to ensure that people living with mood disorders are treated equitably.
- Disability Rights Network of Pennsylvania
- The DRN is a statewide, non-profit corporation designated as the federally-mandated organization to advance and protect the civil rights of adults and children with disabilities.
- Education Law Center
For thirty years, the Education Law Center (Phone: 412-258-2120) has worked to make good public education a reality for Pennsylvania's most vulnerable students: poor children, children of color, kids with disabilities, English language learners, children in foster homes and institutions, and others.
- Equal Employment Opportunities Commission
- The five-member commission makes equal employment opportunity policy and approves most litigation. This site also provides information on discrimination by type; laws, regulations and guidance; filing a charge of discrimination, statistics, etc.
- Erie County Department of Health
Mission Statement: The goal of the HIV/AIDS Education & Training Program is to provide accurate up-to-date education to raise the level of awareness in order to prevent the spread of HIV infection.
The Erie County Department of Health promotes abstinence as the only sure way to prevent HIV infection.
- Erie County Government
- A list of all county government offices.
- Erie Encore
- Erie County's Online Training Center. Their aim is to increase Erie County's knowledge and understanding of systems, services, and agencies that work with families and individuals.
- Erie SPROUT
- SPROUT is intended to provide Erie County, Pennsylvania parents, caregivers and youth with information to help make informed decisions for themselves and their loved ones. The website provides a community calendar, and promotes connections with mentors and other support groups.
- Feeling Blue Suicide Prevention Council
- Feeling Blue Suicide Prevention Council is a community-based organization dedicated to preventing suicide, reducing the stigma associated with suicide, and supporting those people affected by depression or by the loss of a loved one to suicide.
- Family & Friends of Heroin Addicts Talk
- The purpose of this group, FOHAT, is to share experiences of addiction with others who may be vulnerable.
- Gamblers Anonymous
- Gamblers Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from a gambling problem.
- Healthy Minds. Healthy Lives
- American Psychiatric Association, consumer-oriented Web site that seeks to inform and educate the public about mental health treatment and resources. HealthyMinds.org should be a source for providing understanding and hope for anyone seeking information on their mental health.
- Healthy Place Mental Health Information
- We are the largest consumer mental health site, providing comprehensive, trusted information on psychological disorders and psychiatric medications from both a consumer and expert point of view. We have an active mental health social network for support, online psychological tests, breaking mental health news, mental health videos, a live mental health tv and radio show, unique tools and more.
- Hills Center Drug Rehab Guide
- This is an information outreach project created by the addiction professionals at The Hills Center. This project aims to help the addiction recovery community by providing answers to the most common questions and concerns regarding drug treatment.
- Hope to Healing
- Sharing the Hope, Sharing the Healing of Mental Illness Recovery
- Institute for Recovery and Community Integration
- The Institute for Recovery and Community Integration offers a number of dynamic training packages geared toward personal recovery, the development of peer support, community integration and systems transformation.
- I Am The Evidence
- I'm the Evidence/Mental Health Campaign (ITE/MH) is a campaign to raise awareness about how each of us can positively impact the lives of people in mental health recovery, by honoring human potential, creating opportunities, and offering encouragement.
- International Association of Peer Supporters
- The mission of iNAPS is to further promote the interests of our organization and our members to the community. We strive to make a difference by educating the public and expanding our reach.
- Job Gateway
- Get career assistance, search for local job openings, create and manage your resume, apply for jobs online, connect with employers, and learn more about individual services.
- Memorial of Recovered Dignity
- This memorial exhibit raises awareness of and restores dignity to the hundreds of thousands of consumers who died and where buried in unmarked graves on the grounds of physchiatric hositals nationwide.
- Mental Health America
- Mental Health
America is the country's oldest and largest nonprofit organization addressing all aspects of mental health and mental illness - working to improve the mental health of all Americans, especially the 54 million individuals with mental disorders, through advocacy, education, research and service.
- Mary Ellen Copeland's WRAP as an Evidence Based Practice and more.
- Mental Health Association in Pennsylvania
The Mental Health Association in Pennsylvania works on behalf of mental health through advocacy, education and public policy.
- Mutual Aid Resources
- Mutual aid group members support one another by providing social, emotional and informationsl support, face-to-face or online.
- My Strength.com
- The health club for your mind. myStrength, Inc.is a digital behavioral health company that offers web- based and mobile self-help resources to mental health consumers.
- Mercy Center for Women (MCW)
We provide long term (up to 1 year) transitional housing and support services to homeless women with or without children. We provide many services for women including personal development.
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Erie County Area Narcotics Anonymous(ECANA) has announced the meeting schedule from January, 2009.
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill of Erie County
A non-profit, grass roots organization made up of family members
of those with mental illness, mental health professionals, and consumers
of mental health services. Our mission is to promote the quality of life
of persons with serious mental illness and their families through support,
advocacy, education and outreach.
- National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors
- Many different reports including the survey "Mental Health Transformation Survey, April 1, 2005"
- National Center for Learning Disabiliities
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) works to ensure that the nation's 15 million children, adolescents and adults with learning disabilities have every opportunity to succeed in school, work and life.
- National Coalition of Mental Health Consumer/Survivor Organizations
- The National Coalition of Mental Health Consumer/Survivor Organizations (NCMHCSO) will ensure that consumer/survivors have a major voice in the development and implementation of health care, mental health, and social policies at the state and national levels, empowering people to recover and lead a full life in the community.
- National Consumer Supporter Technical Assistance Center
- NCSTAC's purpose is to strengthen consumer organizations by providing technical assistance in the form of research, informational materials and financial aid.
- National Institute of Mental Health
- NIMH's mission is to reduce the burden of mental and behavioral disorders through research on mind, brain and behavior. Our goal is to generate research that will transform prevention of and recovery from mental disorders.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. By dialing 1-800-273-TALK, the call is routed to the nearest crisis center in our national network of more than 150 crisis centers. The Lifeline's national network of local crisis centers, provide crisis counseling and mental health referrals day and night.
- Network of Care
- Network of Care is a interactive, single information place where consumers, community-based organizations and municipal government workers all can go to easily access a wide variety of important information. This Web site is a resource for individuals, families and agencies concerned with behavioral health. It provides information about behavioral health services, laws, and related news, as well as communication tools and other features. Regardless of where you begin your search for assistance with behavioral health issues, the Network of Care helps you find what you need - it helps ensure that there is "No Wrong Door" for those who need services. This Web site can greatly assist in our efforts to protect our greatest human asset - our beautiful minds.
- "No Kidding, Me Too!" Using Celebrity to Reverse Stigma
- This nonprofit wants to get the message out about the importance of treatment for mental illness--and it's hoping the voice of celebrity will ring loud and true for people feeling helpless and isolated by anxiety disorder, depression, bipolar disorder, or any of the host of conditions the group refers to as "brain dis-ease."
- Northwestern Legal Services
Northwestern Legal Services is a private non-profit corporation dedicated to providing free legal
representation to low income people with civil legal problems. Client eligibility is based on the type of case involved and financial and asset guidelines.
- Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- The Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (1-877-356-5355)offers a wide variety of drug and alcohol services available to children and adults in conjunction with the Health Department?s Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Programs (BDAP). This line is a general information and referral line for people seeking information on mental health and subvstance abuse services in Pennsylvania.
- OpenMindsOpenDoors is a Pennsylvania initiative aimed at ending discrimination against people with mental illnesses. Approximately one in five people in this country live with a mental illness. People who have needs just like everyone else, and demand basic rights just like everyone else.
- PA Department of Public Welfare
- Provides information about services for low-income Pennsylvanians, services for Pennsylvanians with disabilities, services for children in Pennsylvania, services for families in Pennsylvania. It also provides news and media updates.
- PA Health Law Project
- PHLP is a nationally recognized expert and consultant on access to health care for low-income consumers, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. For more than two decades, PHLP has engaged in direct advocacy on behalf of individual consumers while working on the kinds of health policy changes that promise the most to the Pennsylvanians in greatest need.
- PA House of Representatives
- This site enables users to keep up-to-date on current happenings including legislation dealing with the mental health field.
- PA Housing Search
- A free service to list and find affordable homes and apartments accross Pennsylvania.
- Pa Peer Support Coalition
- Dedicated to Peer Support with training opportunities,job listings,statewide initiatives,etc.
- PA Senate
- This site enables users to keep up-to-date on current happenings including legislation dealing with the mental health field.
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance Pennsylvania
- PPARxPA is a program that connects qualified, low-income people with discounted prescription drugs, direct from the pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Pass Plan Help
Grant like funds from your United States Social Security Disability
benefits for work or school. Over and above what you now receive!!!
A Pass Plan along with your Ticket To Work can provide you this opportunity.
- Pennsylvania Department of Aging
A toll-free number to help consumers with questions about long term living and services for people with disabilities. Phone: 1.800.753.8827
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
The mission of the Pennsylvania Department of Education is to assist the General Assembly, the Governor, the Secretary of Education and Pennsylvania educators in providing for the maintenance and support of a thorough and efficient system of education.
- Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council
The Council engages in advocacy, systems change and capacity building for people with disabilities and their families in order to: Support people with disabilities in taking control of their own lives; Ensure access to goods, services and supports; Build inclusive communities; Pursue a cross disability agenda; and Change negative societal attitudes toward people with disabilities.
- Pennsylvania Mental Health Consumers' Association (PMHCA)
A statewide membership organization representative of the individual and collective expression of people who are or have been recipients of mental health services.
- Pennsylvania Training and Tecnhical Assistance Network
The mission of Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN) is to support the efforts and initiatives of the Bureau of Special Education, and to build the capacity of local educational agencies to serve students who receive special education services.
- Pennsylvania Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative
The Pennsylvania Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative is a multi-system collaboration to reduce youth suicide
- Persad is the nation's second oldest licensed counseling center specifically created to serve gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community. As a community counseling organization, we will achieve this through: counseling and therapeutic services for our target populations; prevention and well being services for the community; advocacy and support for individuals and groups affected by discrimination; training and education and research to increase understanding
- Psychologists at Law Group
- This Group is a treatment advocacy center that provides expert evidence and opinions in adult and youth criminal cases, adult and children personal injury, mental capacity for civil proceedings and Children Act & Family proceedings.
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) National Center
- The center of excellence for research and education on the prevention, understanding, and treatment of PTSD. Our purpose is to improve the well-being and understanding of individuals who have experienced traumatic events, with a focus on American Veterans. We provide no direct clinical care.
- Recovery Month
- September is Recovery Month
- Rethink Mental Illness
- Information and support for the siblings of people with mental illness from the Siblings Network
- Dr Howard Samuels
- The Leading Expert in Treatment for Alcohol and Substance Abuse and Founder of The Hills Treatment Center.
- Senior Resource of Northwestern Pennsylvania
- Savvy Senior is a media/information service devoted to baby boomers and senior citizens, and the families who support them.
- Special Kids Network System of Care
- The Special Kids Network System of Care, or SKN System of Care for short, is a statewide program that connects children and youth with special health care needs and their families with services that will enrich their lives.
- Stairways Behavioral Health
Stairways offers mental illness treatment and other services, including
residential facilities, to children and adults who are mentally ill in Erie
Pennsylvania. Treating brain diseases such as depression, schizophrenia and
- This online community is for young adults living with a mental health condition and those who have a family member or friend affected by a mental health problem.
- Stop Anxiety Symptoms.com
- This site is intended to help fellow sufferers become independent. The author shares things she has learned and things that have worked for her.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- SAMSHA has established a clear vision for its work - a life in the community for everyone. To realize this vision, the Agency has sharply focused its mission on building resilience and facilitating recovery for people with or at risk for mental or substance use disorders. SAMSHA is gearing all of its resources toward that outcome.
- Suicide Prevention Action Network USA
- SPAN USA is dedicated to preventing suicide through public education and awareness, community engagement and federal, state and local grassroots advocacy. By empowering those who have been touched by suicide, SPAN USA seeks to advance the implementation of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- SPRC promotes the implementation of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention and enhances the nation's mental health infrastructure by providing states, government agencies, private organizations, colleges and universities and suicide survivor and mental health consumer groups with access to the science and experience that can support their efforts to develop programs, implement interventions and promote policies to prevent suicide.
- Suicide Prevention
- Suicide is a serious public health problem that can have lasting harmful effects on individuals, families and communities. While its causes are complex and determined by multiple factors, the goal of suicide prevention is simple: Reduce factors that increase risk (i.e. risk factors) and increase factors that promote resilience (i.e. protective factors).
- Support The Journey
- Support the Journey provides messages and products that help us to remember our potential for recovering from emotional illness. The MHA receives a portion of the sales price for these items.
- US House of Representatives
- Provides legislative resources including but not limited to the 2007 calendar, accessing the laws of the United States, finding bills, amendments or debates, etc.
- US Senate
- Provides information on senators, committees, legislation and records, art and history and a visitors' page, etc.
- US Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association
- The mission of the US Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association is to advance the availability and practice of psychiatric rehabilitation so that all individuals with a serious mental illness have access to the supports they need to recover.
- Value Behavioral Health of Pennsylvania
- VBH-PA provides mental health and substance abuse services to Medical Assistance recipients in 14 Western Pennsylvania counties.
- Veterans Crisis Line
- The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring VA responders through a confidential hotline, online chat, and text-messaging service. Veterans and their families and friends are encouraged to call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online at http://www.VeteransCrisisLine.net/chat, or text to 838255 to speak with qualified VA professionals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Virtual Career Network, Healthcare
- The Virtual Career Network (VCN) is an "open source, open content" workforce services and online learning delivery platform. The purpose of this platform is to assist new entrants and un- and under-employed persons transition into high paying, high growth healthcare careers.
- We Search Together
WeSearchTogether.org is a consumer clearinghouse for depression and bipolar research. It provides researchers with the opportunity to connect with people living with mood disorders and provides potential research participants with the opportunity to learn more about the evaluation of depression and bipolar research.
- Wrights Law
At Wrightslaw, our mission is to provide parents, advocates, educators, and attorneys with accurate, up-to-date information about special education law and advocacy so they can be effective catalysts.